This book is carefully designed to help local intermediate level students see Taiwan in a new light. Students will not only improve their English but will also learn more about Taiwan and be able to introduce it to people from other cultures.
This book includes 16 units in three sections about Taiwan’s arts and culture, most popular tourist attractions, and stories behind the animals and products that have made Taiwan famous. The Arts and Culture section contains five units that give students insight into Taiwan’s rich cultural treasures. Students will learn about the fantastic collection held by the National Palace Museum, as well as fascinating religious traditions and aboriginal festivals. The six units in the Tourist Attractions section detail some of Taiwan’s most beloved sights from the sunrise on Alishan to the street food lover’s paradise in Tainan. The Made in Taiwan section reveals six stories behind the tea, animals, and high-quality products that have made Taiwan famous.
To improve students’ language skills, this book features engaging conversations and reading material and a variety of language practice activities designed to facilitate authentic communication. Furthermore, Explore Taiwan is further supported by an interactive online program which students can access in a lab or at home for self-study.
- Arts and Culture(p.2)
- Unit 1 The National Palace Museum(p.4)
- Unit 2 Yanshui’s Fireworks Festival(p.12)
- Unit 3 Indigenous Festivals of Taiwan(p.20)
- Unit 4 Working Hand in Glove with Puppets(p.28)
- Unit 5 The Cult of the Sea Goddess(p.36)
- Tourist Attractions(p.44)
- Unit 6 Orchid Island: A True Getaway(p.46)
- Unit 7 Taiwan is Hot for its Hot Springs(p.54)
- Unit 8 Smangus: Hsinchu’s Hidden Treasure(p.62)
- Unit 9 The Rustic Alishan Railway(p.70)
- Unit 10 Local Flavors, Tainan Style(p.78)
- Unit 11 Fall in Love with Spectacular, Scenic Hualien(p.86)
- Made in Taiwan(p.94)
- Unit 12 Pengfong Tea: The Bug-Bitten Tea(p.96)
- Unit 13 Formosa’s Great Bear(p.104)
- Unit 14 High-Quality Taiwanese Products(p.112)
- Unit 15 The Wonders of Foot Massages(p.120)
- Unit 16 Good Times Call for Taiwan Beer(p.128)